Two-wheelers are widely used in India. Most of the citizens rely heavily on their two-wheelers to carry out their daily commutes or short-distance travels. Their popularity is mainly because of the comfort they offer. With two-wheelers, you can easily move through heavy traffic and narrow lanes. Along with this, parking a bike is not a headache, as it doesn’t occupy too much space.
However, with the rise of vehicles on the road, the country faces two problems- pollution and accidents. You can get comprehensive bike insurance for protecting your vehicle from unprecedented dangers. However, to tackle the problem of rising pollution, automobile companies in the country have started launching electric two-wheelers.
What Are Electronic Bikes/Two-wheelers?
Relying on fossil fuels and technological achievements have helped us immensely over the years. However, our success has impacted the planet severely. Using fossil fuels for travelling has increased the level of pollution in our world massively, leading to a rise in global warming. Therefore, many industries like the automobile industry are now planning to move to renewable energy sources. Several automobile companies have launched electric bikes in India to reduce fuel emissions on the road.
Electronic or electric bikes are two-wheelers that run solely on electricity. As normal bikes use CNG, diesel, or petrol to function, electric bikes use electricity for functioning. To use an electric bike, you will have to charge it just like an electronic device is charged.
Electronic vehicles have been quite heavily used in other countries, and they are just coming into the market in India. Certain companies have already started setting up charging stations across the country to help electric vehicle owners.
Since there are certain differences between the regular and electric vehicles offered in the country, most electric vehicle owners wonder, ‘Should I insure my bike?’. The answer is yes. Getting two wheeler insurance for electric vehicles is essential.
Insurance for Electric Two-Wheelers
While getting an electric bike can help you access many features and benefits, it also comes with certain limitations like the inability to carry out longer journeys, limited performance and speed, and minimum charging points. Along with this, you can never predict what may occur on the road while you ride your electric bike. The technology used for e-bikes is quite complex and new-age. Things may go wrong at any time with electric vehicles.
Therefore, if you own an electric bike, dealing with these issues can be quite stressful. However, with a long-term two-wheeler insurance policy for your electric bike, you will get the coverage you need during tough times. It would be optimal if you got the insurance for your two-wheeler based on the bike’s specification. Along with this, you must also factor in the legal requirements while purchasing the plan. Therefore, purchasing electric bike insurance for your electric vehicle can be quite beneficial.
Benefits Of Getting Electric Bike Insurance
Purchasing bike insurance for your electric bike can offer you the benefits listed below:
- Cost-efficient: Insurance is a cost-efficient investment since it offers significant financial coverage at an affordable cost. Along with this, you can improve your savings if you buy insurance for your bike online, as you get access to several discounts and offers.
- E-bikes need greater maintenance: Electric bikes are expensive investments because of the complex technologies involved in their make and model. Keeping this in mind, you can get comprehensive electric bike insurance.
- Higher susceptibility to risk: The high-end models for electric bikes which offer better speed and efficiency use complex computer-driven technologies. As a result, the repair costs for such bikes can be quite expensive. However, with a comprehensive electric bike insurance policy, you won’t have to worry about the costs associated with repairing the bike.
Types of Bike Insurance Policies Available For Electric Bikes
- Third-party liability insurance: As per the Motor Vehicles Act, getting third-party bike insurance is a legal compulsion by the law. With third-party insurance coverage, the insurer is secured against financial losses or damages to a third party, their property, or their automobile. However, the third-party liability plan does not cover any damages to a policyholder’s vehicle.
- Comprehensive bike insurance: Comprehensive insurance for electric bikes offers a wider range of coverage. For example, a comprehensive bike insurance plan includes third-party coverage and any damages that your vehicle faces. This way, you are protected from facing financial losses due to damages to your vehicle. In addition, you also get coverage for damages against various natural or man-made disasters.
Tips To Reduce Insurance Premium For Electric Bikes
Here are a few tips you can follow to reduce the premium for electric bikes:
- Select the coverage for the plan as per your requirements.
- Include the add-ons that you need. However, you must carefully select the add-ons for your insurance policy and select only the ones you need.
- Opting for online two-wheeler insurance can be beneficial for you. With online insurance of your bike, you get discounts and access to different tools as well. For example, insurers like Tata AIG offer calculators to help customers understand the premium amount.
- Drive safe to accumulate your NCB discount and avoid filing claims for minor damages.
Electric automobiles are the future of the automobile industry. They offer us ease of travel and help us contribute to protecting the planet. While protecting the planet by purchasing an electric bike is helpful, protecting your vehicle from unprecedented dangers is equally important.
To protect your electric vehicle, you can get suitable two-wheeler insurance for it. Most electric vehicles use high-end technical features. With the electric bike insurance policy, you will be protected from the damage repair costs.